QOS Match Reports 2005/6

Queen of the South FC
Winter 2016
Winter 2015
Winter 2014
Winter 2013
Winter 2012
Winter 2011
Winter 2010
Winter 2009
Winter 2008
Winter 2007
Winter 2006
Winter 2005
Webcam Links
Summer Trips.
Resort Reviews
About Me
Contact me
Latest News....archived.

Queen of the South News and Reports.


Copyright The Scottish Football League 2005
Team P W D L F A W D L F A W D L F A GD P
St.Mirren 36 11 4 3 23 12 12 3 3 29 16 23 7 6 52 28 24 76
St.Johnstone 36 8 9 1 30 14 10 3 5 29 20 18 12 6 59 34 25 66
Hamilton 36 9 6 3 25 12 6 8 4 28 27 15 14 7 53 39 14 59
Ross County 35 8 6 4 24 19 6 8 4 23 21 14 14 7 47 40 7 56
Clyde 36 9 5 4 30 18 6 5 7 24 24 15 10 11 54 42 12 55
Airdrie United 36 8 5 5 41 21 3 7 8 16 22 11 12 13 57 43 14 45
Dundee 36 6 5 7 26 25 3 11 4 17 25 9 16 11 43 50 -7 43
QUEENS 36 5 7 6 17 19 2 5 11 14 35 7 12 17 31 54 -23 33
Stranraer 36 4 7 7 20 27 1 7 10 13 26 5 14 17 33 53 -20 29
Brechin City 36 1 7 10 18 36 1 4 13 10 38 2 11 23 28 74 -46 17

The above table is from www.qosfc.com.

APR 29
Dundee arrived at Palmerston for the final
League game of the season on a warm
Spring day and stole the show with a fine
display of attacking football. It was a game
where both teams created a fair amount of
chances but the Dees were clinical with
their finishing and a 3 goal burst within 5 mins
put them in easy street before half an hour
had been played.McCall had changed the
team quite drastically today and things were
just not working with Mullen and Weir up
front and an ineffective Andy Thomson in
behind them. In the second half Lyle,Gibson
and Brian Reid (playing his last game) all
came on and steadied the ship. Queens
pulled one back when Paul Burns knocked
home the rebound after a Tommy English
shot had come back off the bar.
At the end the team recieved a standing
ovation for their efforts over the last 3 Months
which kept us in Div 1 for a 5th consecutive

APR 22
Queen of the South completed their brave, late season fightback to secure their First Division status after a draw with relegated Brechin City.

The visitors opened the scoring after 22 minutes, when Sean O'Connor headed home a Ryan McStay free-kick.

Goalkeeper Richard Barnard denied Scott Walker's goalbound header and Stuart Lovell cleared a Chris Templeman header off the goalline.

But Stuart Callaghan drove home the equaliser with an 18-yard free-kick.

Brechin: Nelson, McEwan, White, Walker, Deas, King (Hampshire 71), Hannah, Callaghan, Smith (Byers 62), Gibson (Templeman 53), Geddes.
Subs Not Used: Devlin, Hillcoat.

Booked: Smith, Deas, White.

Goal: Callaghan 79.

Queen of the South: Barnard, Paton (Dillon 50), Lovell, Aitken, Wood, Burns, O'Neil, Weir (Andy Thomson 58), Gibson, O'Connor (Lyle 70), McStay.
Subs Not Used: Bowey, Scott.

Booked: Weir, O'Neil.

Goal: O'Connor 22.

Att: 809 .


Above report from BBC Sport as I was
unable to attend todays game as I was

APR 15
I had driven up from Folkestone early in the
morning to allow me the chance to get to the
match following a week of snowboarding in
France and Switzerland.
The effort seemed well worthwhile after 25
mins when Queens stormed into a 2-0 lead.
Firstly Graham Weir was hauled down in the
box and after some consultation with the
linesman a penalty was awarded and John
O'Neill slammed it home (23/25 goals from
the spot). Saints were in complete disarray
and then had Martin Hardie sent off for what
seemed like a swipe at Gary Wood. Things
got even better a few minutes later when
Weir picked up the ball in the box and from
a tight angle fired it high past ex Carlisle
keeper Mattie Glennon. Things should now
have been easy for Queens but twice they
allowed Saints back into it before HT. First
good work by Jason Scotland saw the ball
placed at the feet of Kevin James and he
tapped it home then a couple of minutes
later Eric Paton failed to clear the ball in
the box and it was picked up by Sheerin
who controlled the ball well and then
blasted it past Ritchie Barnard to make it
all square at the break.
In the second half St.Johnstone pushed
forward and did not look like the team
with only 10 players . Queens had a good
chance when Thomson flicked the ball
through to Lyle who had two shots saved
by Glennon.
Then came the winner as a high ball
arrived outside the penalty area and big
Kevin James tried to head it back to his
keeper but had to watch in agony as it
went over his head and into the net to the
delight of the Queens players and fans.
It was a tense final few minutes and right
at the end the visitors had a free kick on
the edge of the box and it was a huge
relief when Scotlands shot was cleared
by the wall.
A great win made even better when the
news came through that Stranraer had
lost 3-0 at Airdrie which now sees us 4
points above them with 2 games to go.

MAR 25
What a day and what a result. Queens players were all up for
this one today and they had the backing of a big noisy support.
Ritchie Barnard was back in goals today and made 3 or 4 top
notch saves. Queens took the lead when Paul Burns met a
corner from Ryan McStay at the back post and knocked it home
from a tight angle just before the break. Earlier Queens lost Jim
Thomson with a head injury and he was replaced by utility man
Gary Wood.
In the second half I felt Queens were never in danger of losing
this one and the points were secured when sub John O'Neill
scored a beauty at the far end with a volley high into the net
which gave the Hamilton keeper no chance. The roar at the
final whistle was huge as the players came across to salute
their 12th man....the supporters. Stranraer beat Brechin today
as expected and play their game in hand up at Hamilton on
Tuesday night so we hope they will feel the Accies backlash
from this defeat to Queens.

MAR 18
Well it was not pretty and in fact was quite a poor game but come 4.45pm on Sat all that mattered was that we had beaten Stranraer for the first time this season and more importantly had 3 points which allowed us to leapfrog above them in the table. It was a massive win for us but for the first 45 minutes Stranraer were the better side and could well have gone in with a lead at the interval if it had not been for 2 good saves from Colin Scott and a shot from ex Queens player Stephen Payne hitting the crossbar.
In the second half Queens came out fighting and it was Steve Bowey who fired home high into the net from inside the box after the visitors defence failed to clear a free kick. Queens should have had a penalty shortly afterwards when Paul Burns was brought down but the Referee Kenny Clark yet again had a very poor game while officiating a game involving Queens.
We never looked like conceding throughout the remainder of the game with the defence looking solid and Stranraer creating very little until the last minute when Colin Scott had to get down quickly to stop a header on the line.
Stranraer have 2 games in hand over Queens but now we are in front of them I think we have the upper hand in the fight to avoid the second bottom spot and the play-offs.

Mar 11
Charlie Adam blasted St Mirren seven points clear in the title race with a last-minute winner to sink brave Queen of the South at Love Street.

The Buddies were the better side for the entire 90 minutes but could not make their superiority or chances count until the dying seconds.

Saints twice went close with rasping Adam free-kicks that Scott spilled but nobody could pounce.

Adam was eventually the hero in the dying seconds when he slotted home.

St Mirren: Bullock, van Zanten, Maxwell, Reilly, McGowne (Broadfoot 18), Potter, Murray, Lappin (Kean 77), Sutton (Mehmet 68), Adam, Corcoran. Subs Not Used: Anderson, Smith.

Booked: Reilly, Adam.

Goals: Adam 90.

Queen of South: Scott, Paton (Dillon 46), Bowey, Lovell, Aitken, Jim Thomson, O'Neil, Weir (Mullen 60), Wood, McStay (Burns 55), Gibson. Subs Not Used: Lyle, Barnard.

Booked: O'Neil, Wood, Dillon, Gibson.

Att: 3,436

Above report from BBC Sport as I was unable to attend todays game.

FEB 18
This was never going to be an easy game
and so it turned out but Queens had plenty
of chances to win this match with the City
keeper Craig Nelson in fine form which
helped secure his side a point.
A decent crowd turned out on a fine sunny
afternoon and Thomson and Wood both had
excellent chances to score but could not
take them. No game next Saturday because
of the Cup but then its Dundee at Palmerston
on the Tuesday night. Heres hoping we can
get back to winning ways.

FEB 11
Queens went to Dens Park on Saturday in
search of a first away win of the season and
after a great fighting performance they did
just that. They got off to a cracking start when
Andy Thomson scored after a shot from Paul
Burns was not held by the keeper. Dundee
levelled through Lynch and then he put the
Home side in front midway through the 2nd
half. Queens still had plenty of fight in them
and equalised when Michael Mullen broke
into the box,squeezed between about 3
defenders and hit a fine shot past the keeper.
Things got even better in 81 mins when sub
Gary Wood collected the ball 35 yds out and
unleashed a brilliant shot which flew high
into the net.
We now have Stranraer well in our sites.

After a league defeat at Ross County last
week and before that the cup replay knock
out at Hamilton it was nice to get back to
winning ways at long last. The last league
win was back in mid October when it was
Airdrie who lost to a last Minute Paul Burns
goal which I missed as I was in a hurry to
get away that day. Well I also missed the
action yesterday as I was at work but it was
 great to see the lads pick up 3 points. They
had started well and on loan Hearts striker
Graeme Weir nearly scored in the first minute.
It was the same player who was brought down
by the Airdrie keeper in the box after 9 mins
and John O'Neill slotted the penalty away.
The visitors had a chance when McPhee was
sent clear but his first shot was blocked by
Colin Scott and when he hit the rebound we
had Stuart Lovell on the line to clear the ball
Queens were under some pressure but got the
crucial second goal when a shot from Andy
Thomson was parried out and Paul Burns was
there to score from close range.
Lets hope this is the revival started and that we
can start to really close the gap on Stranraer
who lost 2-1 at Dundee today.

Jan 7
Scottish Cup 3rd round day and Hamilton are the visitors
to Palmerston. There was a crowd of only 1800 but it was
a match which Queens might well have won. Our last few
home games have seen the team play quite well without
actually getting a win but surely our luck will change. We
need someone to score a few goals and we now have to
wait and see what new facs Manager Ian McCall can bring
in over the next few weeks.
Today Queens started brightly and played some neat football
without causing the Hamilton keeper too many problems. The
visitors then started to get more into the game as the half
went on and Barnard had an excellent save to push a shot
over the bar. Wood also got his customary yellow card,this
time for dissent.
It allwent terribly wrong at the start of the second half when
the Queens defence stood static when a free kick was played
into the box and McLaughlin headed it over Barnard to make
it 1-0 Accies. Queens kept their heads up and were cetainly
still full of effort as they searched for an equaliser.Things
really turned with the introduction of Willie Gibson in 50 mins
when he replaced Wood who had done quite well. Willie was
getting plenty of the ball down the left side and was running
at the Accies defence on a regular basis. Then with less than
10 mins to go Gibson swung a free kick into the back post and
another youngster Scott Robertson knocked it back across goal
and Lyle bravely headed home from close range to level. It
was now a case of trying to get the winner but Hamilton held
on for a replay up at New Douglas Park a week on Tuesday.

2 Jan
We set out on the road to Stranraer with the hope
that we could close the gap on our neighbours and
give ourselves a chance of getting above them in
the league. Alas it was not to be. Although we had
a lot of possession and looked the better team at
times we yet again had no cutting edge and we
produced very little threat in front of goal. We need
a striker badly and for the midfield to start creating
The game was poor and could well have ended in
a draw but for Lee Sharps mishit shot beating
Barnard midway through the second half. The
best chance fell late on for Lyle to level but he hit
weakly at the keeper.The only other effort of note
was a header from Wood in the first half which the
keeper did well to block. Queens had a large away
support today (more than half the crowd) and we
certainly deserve much better than the performance
we got today.

Full of hope before the game
Stranraer 2nd Jan 2006

31 DEC
This was a game where we thought our
fortunes might turn but after a bright start
it was back to the old failings. Giving away
cheap goals seems to becoming an art form
for this current Queens side.
A poor back pass from Willie Gibson allowed
former Queens on loan striker Alex Williams
to nip in and slip the ball under Barnard.
O'Donnell then got a second just before the
break and things looked grim. Williams then
added a third in 62 mins with a header to end
the scoring. Things are now serious and we
must start picking up points if we are to have
any chance of avoiding the drop.

DEC 26
It was an ideal day weatherwise for a game against the
league leaders St.Mirren. There was also a decent sized
support down from Paisley. Queens had so far failed to
pick up a single point since Ian McCall had become the
new manager and with a bit of luck today might have
brought 3 rather than 1.
Queens started brightly and were playing much more
confidently than of late and this could well have been
due to the return of influential defender Brian Reid who
had been out injured for the past 3 months.
Early on Queens had claims for a penalty turned down
when O'Neill went down in the box then a header from
Wood was well saved by the keeper who looked dodgy
at times , especially with his kicking.
Although Queens seemed to have the better of things in
the opening 30 mins it was the visitors who should have
taken the lead when on loan Rangers player Charlie
Adam struck the post with the ball coming out to Celtic
striker Chris Suttons brother John who knocked it over
the top.
Queens again started well in the second half but things
then got out of hand when Wood appeared to headbut
Saints defender Andy Millen and was given a straight
red card, his 3rd of the season ! Then astonishingly a
minute later Saints were also down to 10 men when
Sutton appeared to elbow Jim Thomson in the face and
he got red carded as well with Jim being stretchered off
to be replaced by Chris Carr.Shortly afterwards Queens
brought on Lyle for Lovell as the match swung from end
to end and both teams having chances to win it. Burns hit
a shot over and Bowey shot wide when clean through.Then
right at the end O'Neills shot beat the keeper but just went
wide of the post.
In the end a draw was a fair result and the difference
between the teams seemed less than what it actually is
in the table. The worst news today was that both Brechin
and Stranraer had home wins.

DEC 10.
St Johnstone kept their promotion push on track with a hard-fought win at McDiarmid Park.

Jason Scotland stabbed home the first after 20 minutes, before Steven Milne made it 2-0 with a superb goal in the 64th minute.

Fed through by Steven Anderson, a great first touch left him facing goalkeeper Colin Scott and the Saints striker made no mistake.

Gary Wood's 20-yard blast pulled a goal back but it was too little, too late.

St Johnstone: Cuthbert, Mensing, Stanic, Stevenson (McCann 61), Rutkiewicz, James (Anderson 46), Henry, Sheridan, Milne, Scotland (Dobbie 77), Sheerin. Subs Not Used: Janczyk, Paston.

Goals: Scotland 20, Milne 64.

Queen of South: Scott, Paton, English, Lovell (Robertson 67), Wood, Thomson, Burns, Bowey, Lyle (Carr 69), O'Neil, Gibson. Subs Not Used: Payne, Hill, Barnard.

Booked: Lovell, O'Neil.

Goals: Wood 90.

The above report is from the BBC Sports section as I could not attend the game.

DEC 3rd
A very poor performance and the good away support who sang and encouraged the team right to the end were short changed as the team put in a gutless display and really made the home side look much better than what they actually are.
The first half was not all one sided and we did create a couple of half chances but two clinical finishes after poor defensive marking allowed firstly Brian Prunty to hit a sweet shot past Colin Scott from the left side followed from a similar position by a second from Willie McLaren.
In the second half Queens were in disarray and the only surprise was that it took until the 79th minute for Airdrie to score again. Stuart Lovell playing in the middle of the defence gave the ball away and it ended up with Brian McPhee blasting home. The same player got his second near the end following slack passes from Payne and Lovell again when the striker slammed the ball high into the net to make it 3 defeats in 3 games for Ian McCall since he took over from Ian Scott.

NOV 26
This was our best performance of the season and i still cant beleive
we ended up with nothing. We looked lively and created chances and scored two cracking goals. But it was again poor defending which cost us again.Queens nearly opened the scoring early on when an O'Neill headed was well saved but disaster struck shortly after when Colin Scott hesitated in coming out for the ball and Winters beat him too it and slotted it home. It was a real howler from our keeper.
Queens did not let the heads go down and were soon on level terms when Paton flashed the ball across the box where it found O'Neill and he hammered it home. It was even at half time but Queens roared into the lead at the start of the second period when Lyle fired an unstoppable long range effort into the corner with the County keeper left standing. A superb goal worthy of winning any game but it was not to be. Queens continued to press forward and play some nice football. Both O'Neill and Lyle came close to grabbing a deserved third goal for Queens and just as we thought we might have to settle for a 2-1 victory disaster struck,twice !
Firstly after 83 mins Queens failed to clear a long punt into the box and McSweegan who had came on as a sub pounced and put the ball in the net. 2-2. It then got even worse with a couple of mins to go when Queens again failed to clear and the ball arrived at the feet of Rankine who fired home from outside the box.
It was a smash and grab victory for County who headed back to Dingwall with 3 points ,keeping their title challenge going. Although every Queens fan was gutted at the result we could at least see a marked improvement in the teams play and if they continue with the same fight and determination then results will come. My MOM today was returning midfield player Stuart Lovell.

NOV 19
This was not the start that Ian McCall was wanting
in his first game in charge of Queens. A combination
of the artificial surface,some dodgy decisions from
the referee and poor defending cost us as we went
down by 5 goals to 2.
Hamilton youngster Paul McLeod was unmarked in
the box and headed past Colin Scott from a corner
kick. Queens did have the ball in the net after 27 mins
when Lyle knocked the ball home when the Hamilton
keeper failed to hold a shot from Payne but when you
atre at the bottom of the league these things go against
you and the linesmans flag was up.
Then worse was soon to follow when Hamilton scored
again when Burns tangled with ex Queens trialist Paul
McMullen in the box and the ref gave a penalty which
Derek Fleming tucked away. Things then got even
worse when McLeod scored his second of the game
after his initial shot was blocked he followed up to put
it into the net. 3-0 Accies and a hammering looked to
be on the cards but just before halftime Queens gave
themselves a lifeline when Eric Patons run into the box
was halted by Fergusson and John O'Neill stepped up
to slot the penalty away to make the score at halftime
3-1 to Hamilton.
In the second half it was hoped Queens could get right
back into it but it was the home side who scored again
when McMullens cross beat Colin Scott and ended up
in the net. Game over.
But Queens did get another goal, again from O'Neill
who got on the end of a flick on from Lyle and found
himself with space to knock the ball home.4-2. That
was not the end of it though as a few minutes later
Brian McColligan was sent off for a second bookable
offence and to complete a day of misery for Queens
Accies got a fifth through Fergusson.
Ian Mccall has his work cut out in ensuring Queens
survive in this division and it wont get any easier next
week with the visit of high flying Ross County to

NOV 12
A decent crowd turned out for the SW derby match and it turned
out a much better game than when the sides met at Stair park in
Sept. Stranraer started brightly and for long periods kept Queens
pressed back in their own half. They took the lead after 26 minutes
when the QOS defence failed to clear the ball after about 4 attempts
and eventually Alan Jenkins smashed the ball home. Queens got
back into it 3 mins later when a nice move involving Paton who
played a good ball forward to Burns who brilliantly dummied it and
it went through to John O'Neill who finished well.
In the second half Queens were on top but when you are down at the
foot of the table things dont always go your way. The nearest thing to
a winning goal was a dipping shot from McNiven which beat the
keeper but came back off the bar.
Ian McCall has a lot of hard work to do in ensuring we stay in Div 1
but i think he saw enough today to give him confidence that the aim
will be acheived.

OCT 29
It was never going to be easy getting anything from
this match and sadly we came back down the road
with nothing to show for our efforts. Queens started
brightly and were certainly not being overrun in the
early stages but went behind when poor marking at
a corner saw John Potter volleyed home from inside
the box. It stayed 1-0 until just a few minutes after H.T
when Stewart Kean headed home another corner
from Simon Lappin. After this Queens created a few
chances but a combination of good saves and bad
finishing ensured Saints record of not having
conceded a home league goal this season stayed

OCT 25
Steven Hamilton's own goal kept Queen of the South three points clear of Division One's bottom side.

Brechin City opened the scoring when Gerry Britton passed for Kevin Byers to shoot home from the edge of the box.

City were unlucky when Britton headed on to Steven Hampshire and the striker's shot came back off the post.

Hamilton headed a Derek Lyle cross into his own net under severe pressure before goalkeeper Colin Scott prevented Kevin Byers restoring the lead.

Brechin: Nelson, Hamilton, White, Walker, Bollan, Winter, Johnson (Callaghan 74), Byers, Smith (King 70), Hampshire, Britton (Ritchie 64).
Subs Not Used: Ferguson, Hillcoat. Booked: Byers.

Goal: Byers 28.

Queen of the South: Scott, Paton, Hill, Thomson, English, O'Neil, Burns, Bowey (Gibson 68), McLaughlin, McNiven, Lyle.
Subs Not Used: McColligan, Robertson, Carr, Barnard.

Booked: Lyle, Bowey.

Goal: Hamilton 55 og.

Report from the BBC as i could not attend the match.

John O'Neills Pen v Hamilton
Pic from QOS Official site

OCT 22
This home defeat came against the best team i have
seen in the league this season. St.Johntone are starting
to shape up into a decent side. This was quite an
entertaining match with plenty of talking points. The
Perth side took an early lead when a header from
tall defender Kevin James was headed down to Stevie
Milne and he blasted it home from inside the six yard
box. Queens kept trying to play football and push
forward and were rewarded with an equaliser when a
good move involving Burns and McNiven saw the ball
swept into the net at the back post by their best player,
Brian McLaughlin.
Unfortunately they were only level for a few minutes as
Saints were awarded a very soft penalty. Gordon Stanic
dived in the box after minimal contact from McLaughlin.
Paul Sheerin took the spot kick and made no mistake.
In the second half Saints continued to play good stuff
and were rewarded when a shot from Sheerin came
back of the bar and he was able to head the re-bound
past keeper Scott and a despairing Hill on the line

OCT 15
Well it was a long time coming but Queens at last got their first
league win of the season with a 1-0 win over Airdrie Utd.
In the end it was a goal well into stopage time from young
midfielder Paul Burns which got us the result. He picked up
a good pass from Ukrainian trialist Dimitri Pronovych then surged
into the box to place a perfect shot into the corner of the net. We
had a couple of fine efforts against a poor Airdrie side, the first after
10 mins when Willie Gibson went on a mazy run through 4 defenders
but with the goal in front of him the keeper made a good stop. Wee
 Brian McLaughlin then had a shot cleared off the line and the keeper
also made a fine save from an Eric Paton shot from a Gibson Corner.
Bring on St.Johnstone next Saturday.

Ross County moved back to the top of Division One despite being held to a draw by nine-man Queen of the South.

The Doonhamers took the lead in the 32nd minute very much against the run of play when a Willy Gibson cross was headed home by John O'Neil.

Gary Wood saw red when he picked up his second booking in the 73rd minute and Stephen Bowey followed on 85 minutes after a clash with John Rankin.

County got a deserved late goal when Martin Canning scrambled the ball home.

Ross County: Garden, McCulloch, Djebl Zadi, Webb, Canning, Tiernan (McSwegan 78), Rankin, Cowan, Burke, McGarry (McKinlay 67), Nuclowski (Winters 59). Subs Not Used: McAldon, Lauchlan.

Booked: Rankin. Goals: Canning 84.

Queen of the South: Scott, Paton, English, Payne, Reid (A Trialist 38), Thomson, Burns, Bowey, Wood, O'Neil, Gibson (McColligan 67), A Trialist (McNiven 45). Subs Not Used: Barnard, McLaughlin.

Sent Off: Wood (73), Bowey (85). Booked: Wood, O'Neil, McColligan. Goals: O'Neil 32.

The above match report is from the BBC.

Sept 24
This was a home game that Queens really had
to take 3 points from in order to stop becoming
detached at the foot of the table. Hamilton were
always going to be difficult opponents and were
unbeaten on the road in the league this season.
Hamilton were controlling the game in the first
half and deserved to lead 1-0 at the interval. The
goal came when a cross from the impressive
Scott Tunbridge was completely missed by Paul
Burns and when the ball came through to Pat
Keogh he had a simple task to knock the ball
past Colin Scott.
In the second half Queens tried to push forward
in seasrch of an equaliser and looked a bit better
with Paton on for Burns and then young Stuart Hill
being replaced by English. It was a good passing
move from Queens which brought the leveller.
The ball was whipped into the box by Gibson and
McNiven was about to shoot when he was bundelled
to the ground. The ball broke for McLaughlin who
thumped it high into the net but the ref had already
whistled for a penalty. Fortunately John O'Neill put
the ball into the net to make it 1-1.
Hamiltons winner came when the home side failed
to clear from a corner and the ball was floated back
into the box where it was flicked onto Tunbridge who
headed it over Scott and into the net.
This was a very poor performance today and things
dont look like getting much better as next week we
are away up to Dingwall for a match against high
flying Ross.County.

Sept 17
Well it would not surprise me if this was
QoS manager Ian Scotts last game in
charge. He is tactically clueless and it is
time he was replaced. We had about 500
away fans in the crowd today and we got
off to a decent start as we dominated the
first 45 minutes without creating a real
goal scoring chance. Colin Scott was back
in goals today and only had one save to make
in the whole game. Queens had a good effort
from Lovell saved in the 2nd half but never
looked like getting all 3 points. Poor games
today from O'Neill and Lovell.

Another home game against St Mirren and another
home defeat. The teams performances have improved
but we are still not scoring goals or getting points on the
board. Things have to improve and next Sat at Stranraer
is the ideal time to turn things round.
Queens went a goal down after 21 minutes when Simon
Lappin managed to turn in the box and stab the ball
past Barnard for the only goal of the afternoon. Queens
had a lot of the ball and kept pushing saints back but
without any cutting edge. The Saints keeper did not have
a save to make all match and the closest we came was a
Lyle effort which struck the post from a Willie Gibson cross.
Best for Queens today were Paul Burns,Jim Thomson and
Willie Gibson.
Roll on next Saturday...cant wait for a trip to the Cleyhole !

AUG 31
QOS certainly played a lot better tonight
in the Bells Cup 2nd round tie here at
St.Mirren took the lead after 20 mins when
former Hamilton striker Mark Corcoran was
sent clean through on goal and slipped the
ball past Barnard.
In 57 mins Queens got back on terms when
Paul Burns at the back post knocked a
Wullie Gibson free kick into the net. The
home side were level for less than two
minutes when a long range effort from
Hugh Murray was deflected into the net.
QOS put the Buddies under a bit of pressure
in the last 20 mins but could not force extra

AUG 27

Another away game ,another defeat and yet again another game when we fail to hit the net !!! This was a game where we thought we could end our poor run of performances and results but it was not to be. We went down to an Alex Williams goal after 13 minutes. This was always on the cards as we had the player on loan at Palmerston for a few Months when he was still a Morton player.

We only got into the game in the last 20 minutes but still could not create many clear cut chances. In injury time Jim Thomson had a header deflected into the net of a defender but the goal was disallowed for pushing. Five players were booked today. Thomson,Wood,McNiven,McColligan and Gibson and our disciplinary record is looking very bad already and it wont be long before the suspensions start to hit hard.

Well after 4 games we are bottom of the league with 1 point and 1 goal to our credit with 8 conceded and 2 players sent off. Not the start to the season we were hoping for !!.

AUG 20
This was always going to be a tough task for Queens
when they travelled to Dens Park to face promotion
favourites Dundee who came down from the SPL
last season.
Queens started well and for the first 20 minutes they
were more than holding their own but then goals from
ex Inverness defender Bobby Mann (25) and ex Celt
Simon Lynch (35) put the dark blues in easy street.
But QOS then gave themselves some hope when a
decent cross into the box from Tommy English was
flicked on by David McNiven and Del Lyle was left
unmarked at the back post to knock the ball home.
2-1 at Half-time but the second half started with a
lot of Dundee pressure and the game as a contest
was finished after 62 minutes when Ian Anderson
headed in a Tam McManus corner to make it 3-1.
Things got even worse for Queens a few minutes
later when Lyle was sent off for apparently head-
butting Dundee defender Tom Hutchison who should
have walked as well but only got a yellow card !
Paton had a chance later on with a header which
went wide but Dundee fully deserved the 3 points
and will be the team to beat this season for anyone
with championship aspirations.
AUG 13
A game watched by 1480 people which had few
highlights. Queens had most of the pressure and
the best chances but could not get their first league
goal of the season. The best chances fell to Bowey
and Lyle. Some players were well out of form today
especially Paton and Lovell.
Hope things improve soon as it could be a long and
difficult season. At least we are not bottom of the
league now !
AUG 10
After the 4-0 league defeat at Perth on Sat
it was hoped we could get back to winning
ways in tonights CIS Cup 1st round match
with Stirling Albion at Forth bank stadium.
Queens started well with the backing of a
large away support who were dazzled not
by the teams performance but by the sun
in our faces for most of the game.
Our defence was at sixes and sevens early
on and were guilty of poor defending which
allowed veteran striker Paddy Connolly to
score twice after 10mins and 12mins.
Queens looked stunned and started to put
pressure on the Albion defence.McNiven
pulled one back after 31mins but should
have had a treble before half time.
In the second half we had a few other
chances but Stirling held out for a
deserved victory. Queens were poor
tonight and will have to sort things out
quick before Saturdays league game
with Brechin City at Palmerston.
Aug 6th
A bad start to the season for QOS with a 4-0 defeat up at Perth v St.Johnstone.
Milne scored twice to give Saints a 2-0 lead at H.T.
Early in the 2nd half Gary Wood was sent off and a couple of minutes later Stevenson scored a 3rd for the home side before Campbell finished the scoring with still half an hour to play.
By all accounts Queens were shocking today and made Saints look far better than they actually are.
Glad i was working and missed this horror show !











Action from Broadwood.
Pic from QOS Official Website





A great day at Hamilton.
Pic from Eric Fisher (footy mad site)

Bowser scores v Stranraer.
picure from QOSFC.com

Action from the match v Brechin
Picture from QOSFC website

Willie Gibson v Hamilton
Pic from qosfc.com

Bells Cup action V St.Mirren.
Pic fromqosfc.co.uk

Lappin (No8) scores the winner
Pic from qosfc.co.uk

Enter content here

Enter content here